“Better To Write For Yourself And Have No Public Than To Write For The Public And Have No Self” –Cyril Connolly

Translate

Monday, July 04, 2011

Movie review: Awakening the Skeena

So I saw this movie title on VOD last night and immediately thought of the Skeena river, I know it very well, have been traveling up and down it my whole life. It is vast and beautiful. When ever I think of northern British Columbia I have noting but fond memories, I think of my dad, I think about family & friends. Also I feel that when I was traveling along the Skeena as a child that those memories seem so pure. Anyways watching this movie was powerful, spiritual and inspiring. Anyways I highly recommend watching it. Enjoy :)


Awakening the Skeena

Nestled among a rugged knot of mountains in Northern British Columbia, lies a vast alpine basin that is the birthplace of three of Canada's richest wild salmon rivers, among them BC's second longest the Skeena. In the heart of this remarkable region,often referred to as the Serengeti of North America, a battle is underway to save this pristine wilderness from becoming an industrial landscape.

In an epic month-long journey, local resident Ali Howard sets out from the Sacred Headwaters where the Skeena River emerges as a trickle and continues down picturesque valleys , through  treacherous whitewater canyons all the way to the temperate rainforest at the rivers mouth in the Pacific Ocean at Prince Rupert.

She is not alone in her fight. An enthusiastic coalition including the sons and daughters of loggers, ranchers and outfitters who settled these valleys has formed to advocate for a sustainable future. The river is remote and to often out of sight means out of mind .While the front lines in this fight may be far from the beaten path, it's clear that the fate of the Skeena affects us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment