“Better To Write For Yourself And Have No Public Than To Write For The Public And Have No Self” –Cyril Connolly

Translate

Sunday, December 11, 2011

So This Is Christmas


So this time of year is hard for a lot of people. For me it was a magical time, full of cheer and happiness, full of family moments, presents and turkey dinner. Christmas was the time of year were our family would come together for meals and Xmas baking, and Xmas movies, putting up the exterior lights, putting up the tree. Leaving out cookies & milk for Santa on the fireplace, not able to sleep Christmas Eve cause the excitement of finding out what Santa left you was overbearing, unwrapping presents & Xmas breakfast, lunch and dinner, Xmas treats, chocolate, candy, the smell for fresh pine tree's and how the Xmas lights gleam off the tree, watering the tree, Xmas cards from family. 

How, why and when did this change for us? Soon we get to an age where the kids at school started saying “Oh Santa doesn’t exists, it’s really you parents!” After that moment we come to terms with the truth and begin to grow up and mature. We are armed with the truth and for some years still maintain that certain amount of hopefulness every December.

Now we are preteens, teenagers and adults and December 25th is about to roll around the corner and here we are. Now I am one of those people that constantly struggle with the thought of Christmas. One part of me really want to feel all the warmth of Xmas cheer, another part feels overwhelmed with things that were, things that are and the things that have yet to be. Some moments I absolutely feel the Xmas vibe. Like when I am walking around outside, and I can see everyone who has put up a tree or Xmas light on the patio. You can smell Xmas in the air. For some reason I am hesitant to even put up a Xmas tree this year, it just seems like to much work. Who do I share that special Xmas feeling with now?

I was discussing this topic with a very close friend of mine and they said you have to find/make your own Christmas traditions. Over the years our family has dwindled down to 3, and very often we must split up the tradition to accommodate other peoples traditions with our own. If only we could be in 5 places at once. At first the very thought of straying from our family’s tradition quite frankly scared the crap out of me. But that does not mean I have to abandon the traditions we already have, I can still have those but incorporate my own in as well. Like for example: Doing stuff through out the month of December. This year I am going to see the Vancouver Symphony Opera, they are putting on a Christmas Special, a festive mix of classical music and Christmas stuff too. How perfect is that!?

Well I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas & New Year’s. Make your own new tradition’s, Vancouver has a lot to offer this time of year try something new, and I hope that good old saint nick give’s ya something special :D  



No comments:

Post a Comment