“Better To Write For Yourself And Have No Public Than To Write For The Public And Have No Self” –Cyril Connolly

Translate

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Journey with Wide Mouth Mason

Over the last couple of years I have gained a new interest in a group that I had originally over looked when they first came out. However in 2009 and 2010 I attended an outdoor concert that spanned over Canada Day long weekend and was located in a little town called Gingolx (pronounced Kincolith) Home of the festival Crab Fest.

Now I know what you’re thinking, what the hell is Crab Fest, I thought the same thing, but it was my mother that made me and my older brother want to go with here to check it out for ourselves. Crab Fest is a two day outdoor music festival that started in 2004.It has attracted many tourists from around the world. With headliners such as: Trooper, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Nazareth, Tom Cochran, Wide Mouth Mason, Big Sugar, 54-40, Kim Mitchell & Derek Miller.

It was this very festival that had sparked my interest/obsession with Wide Mouth Mason. I heard them play live and it totally rocked my world, it was refreshing to hear amongst all the top forty crap that the radio stations regurgitate every day. From 2009 onward's I have been listening to Wide Mouth Mason’s music all the time. The first song I connected with was “I love not loving you” (from their 2005 album: Shot Down Satellites) This song helped me through a really rough break-up, and I highly recommend listening to it really loud if you are going through a break-up right now. I would put it on repeat and sing the lyrics out loud, totally optional on your part of course.

When you listen to “Midnight Rain” and “My Old Self” from their self titled album, it has a fresh original take on blues rock. Continue listening to: “Why” from the album “Where I started”, “Smile” from the album “Stew” up to my personal favourite “I love not loving you” they are all great songs. When you start listening to the newest album you will notice the distinct diversity from where they started out up till the current album, it’s absolutely fabulous.

One of the major differences, well besides the obvious that up until March 2011 when Earl Pereira former bassist was replaced with Big Sugar front man Gordie Johnson. Gordie is a heavily requested producer who has done albums for other artists such as “The Trews”, “Real Big Fish” and “Wide Mouth Mason” to name a few. On top of this he is a singer/songwriter and cowriter of a number of hit songs in many different genres.
I have listened to all of their albums, especially No Bad Days which was released July 2011, of which I already have a few favourite songs: “More of it”, “Get a hold of you”, “drive” and “when the night fell” The whole album is amazing. I have also posted some YouTube video’s of them check it out and decide for yourself, I can pretty much guarantee that you will enjoy their music as much as I have.







No comments:

Post a Comment