“Better To Write For Yourself And Have No Public Than To Write For The Public And Have No Self” –Cyril Connolly

Translate

Friday, June 10, 2011

Note's from FB pt.9


What Do I Need:

Please don’t drink around me.
To be in a safe environment. 
To keep what I say confidential
I need to be able to talk to you without any judgement or criticism
To be around people who support me in my recovery.
I need for you to contact me more, even if it’s just a short message to say Hi.
To concentrate on myself in order to better my life.
Please understand that sometimes I may need to cry or be upset.
I need for you to communicate your feelings to me as well. (Ex: when I relapse, if that pisses you off tell me to my face.) 
Please understand that this is a very difficult time in my life you can be helpful in the following ways:
- Send me an email (jenniferharrison83@hotmail.com)
- Call me and say a quick hello. (Check in with me)
- Spend some time with me, ex: going out for coffee or a walk, or watch a movie on TV, play board games, play video games.


This next part of the page is just a little food for thought. I’m not making any of this up and this is actually a known fact for people like me in recovery.
This first concept is called P.A.W.S. (Post acute withdrawal syndrome)
Heavy drinking and/or drug abuse upsets the chemical balance in a person’s body. Although it may only take days for alcohol to leave the system, the balance can take weeks or months to get back to normal. While it happens, the recovering person may continue to experience physical, mental, and emotional problems.
The symptoms of post acute withdrawal syndrome are as follows:
Inability to think clearly. (Eg. Mind racing, rigid and repetitive thoughts, mind shuts off or goes blank, defocused, unable to concentrate)
Low resistance to stress. (Eg. Unable to relax, tense without apparent reason) 
Emotional over-reactivity or numbness.
Memory problems. (Short term memory loss, blocked, cut-off from key past events) 
Sleep disturbances. (Insomnia, unusual or disturbing dreams, over sleeping)
Problem with motor coordination. (Dizziness, balance problems, clumsiness)
The second concept is called H.A.L.T
H.A.L.T is a slogan, which helps us deal with the results of letting ourselves become extremely:
Hungry- when we dislike ourselves we neglect and deprive our bodies of the balanced diet they need. Food is a source of nurturing that we take advantage of. Our bodies are ours to keep and care for.

Angry- When we choose not to deal with situations immediately, there is a possibility those feelings we are afraid to express will become resentments we later drink over.
Lonely- when we believe that we are either better or worse than other people, we dig ourselves into a hole of self-pity, feeling unique in our differences. We soon begin to feel the loneliness of such isolation, and it becomes a “good” reason to drink.
Tired- When we can’t make sense out of anything and life overwhelms us it is possible we have run ourselves into screeching HALT. We have filled our lives with so many activities that we have no time for reflection. We become more fragmented with each project and begin to feel out of touch with our inner voice. We can begin to get back a sense of balance in our lives by living one day at a time, thus realizing that moderation is key in recovery. 
Anyways I hope this has been a little helpful for you. Thanx and love you.

Sincerely Yours,

Jennifer Anne Harrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment